Sunday, August 12, 2007

Get Your Kicks on Route 666

Today I want to celebrate one of the little things, which makes life intolerable. That, of course, is the experience of driving. Many of my readers might be surprised to find that the "children of below" actually know how to drive. Ah, but my friends driving is one of our greatest pleasures. It gives the human race such an emense opportunity for sin. How could we not participate?

Whether they are driving faster than the posted limit, or raging at the person who is driving too slowly, humans are truly at their worst (or best) while driving. We encourage such behavior naturally. We do our humble part of adding to the experience by hanging too long in the fast lane, or hugging one's bumper. My favorite is taking turns nice and slow, so the person who is waiting for me to complete my turn, loses all patience.

This is where I must give kudos as well as instruction. On one such occasion I was making a left hand turn while there was a person on my left also waiting to make a turn. I moved my car (a gremlin, naturally) slowly around her's, taking my time and hoping for a reaction. I got one, although it was barely worth it. I peered through her windshield and got a sight of her gently resting the back of her hand on her steering wheel as she gave me a one finger salute. Now, kudos for her display of rudeness, but what a feeble display. Where was the passion, the rage, or the mindless anger. I swear what is this generation coming to if such a basic gesture as flipping one off can't be done with any gusto?

So I implore those rage and grumble behind their steering wheels as they drive to work or church, keep in practice. The enemy tells us to "practice righteousness" because it truly doesn't come naturally. Well neither does deep depravity. No one starts out incredibly evil, most are mediocre at best. The longer one practices sin, the worse the sin becomes. So keep up the good (bad) work, those who drive. You never know who is on the road preventing you from merging.

See you soon,

Brackish

2 comments:

Christine Van Tassel said...

Dear Brackish,
Are you responsible for causing me to misplace my car keys today for a good twenty minutes? If so I have to complement you on your cleverness. By the time I found them I discovered that we only had one shoe. That took up another 20 minutes as we located the mate in the toy box. So by the time I got behind the wheel of my car I was enraged and flustered. My destination was a mere 2.7 miles away but I had road rage reminiscent of my days commuting 32 miles to work. If you count the search for the lost keys and shoe the time matched a drive to Collegeville.

Congratulations on ensnaring an otherwise laid-back driver. Most days I'm the person who is in no hurry to be anywhere and find myself driving 10 miles per hour below the speed limit. Hmmmm, perhaps that's your lot's doing as well? This seems to really incite a lot of impatient drivers to all sorts of displays of displeasure.

Author said...

I'm not certain if I helped you or some other person (you all look alike to us). Our territories ARE rather spread out. You may have to check with your local DOT (Distributor of Torment) to see who serviced you.

Thanks
Brackish