Sunday, September 23, 2007

You Say Swastika, I Say...Swastika

As I've said before, I don't know much about fashion. But I know what I like. Apparently the Spanish fashion retailer Zara has been selling handbags decorated with dainty, little symbols of the Third Reich (see story). Sadly, no, this does not mean that black, red, and brown are finally coming back into style. The symbols themselves predate Hitler's Funtime Boys, by centuries. Swastikas are ancient Hindu and Buddhist symbols for strength and good luck, but a British shopper did not feel blessed to find them on her newly purchased accessory. She complained and Zara pulled the bags.

Oh well, that's the coming and going of a promising fad. I've never been more disappointed since when I found out "hoodies" didn't cover the whole head.

Brackish

No comments: